Music Quote of the Day


"If you really think about it, everything in this world tries to be music." -- Eugene Hutz

Thursday, February 5, 2009

What's New Pussycat? - Tom Jones

I'll be the first to admit that not all the songs that get stuck in my had are even remotely close to being considered good songs. Take this one. Cheesy and annoying as all get-out. But, stuck it is just the same. I'm not even close to being a Tom Jones fan. Sure, he's got great tone, but he's always belting. It would be so nice if he'd whisper a love song every once in awhile rather than screaming it into your ear. Of course, that's just me. Maybe there are people out there who ... well ... maybe, not.

What's New Pussycat was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David and originally recorded by Tom Jones as the title song for Woody Allen's 1965 film debut by the same name. The song was nominated for an Academy Award (Can you believe that? THIS song? Ack!) and reached #3 on the US pop charts in 1965.

Now, don't get me wrong. I actually like Burt Bacharach as a songwriter (just do not let him sing). Hal David, too, for that matter. They've written some really great songs over the years - Walk On By, I Just Don't Know What To Do with Myself, On My Own, Alfie, One Less Bell to Answer, and many more - but this is just not one of them. Still, it is catchy and all it takes is a simple passing thought to get it started on it's annoying little loop inside my head and once it starts its next to impossible to boot it out. Woah-oh-woah-oh-woah-woah-woah!

What's New Pussycat? by Tom Jones from the 1965 movie soundtrack for "What's New Pussycat?"



Tom Jones website

Burt Bacharach website

Hal David website

No comments: