Music Quote of the Day


"If you really think about it, everything in this world tries to be music." -- Eugene Hutz

Friday, February 6, 2009

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Monty Python

Today is my mother's birthday. Twenty-six years ago today, she underwent a radical mastectomy, removing her left breast and lymph nodes for stage 3 breast cancer. Her odds for survival weren't real good then, but survive she did. Then, just a few days after being released from the hospital, she contracted a staph infection and had to be readmitted. She was put on life support and my dad was advised to prepare himself and us girls for a life without her. A few days later I went to visit her at the hospital after school (I was barely 17 years old at the time) and as I was walking down the hall to her room, I heard her voice sing out, "Life's a piece of shit When you look at it ..." and that's the moment I knew she would not only survive, she would thrive.

So, yeah. This is a very sentimental song for me. It's how I knew my mother was going to live.

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life from Monty Python's 1979 movie "The Life of Brian"



Monty Python website

Happy birthday, Mom. I love you.

No comments: