Music Quote of the Day


"If you really think about it, everything in this world tries to be music." -- Eugene Hutz

Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Believe - Mahalia Jackson

Mahalia Jackson was born in 1911 and grew up in New Orleans, Louisiana. When she was 5 years old, her mother died, leaving her and her brother to be raised by her very strict Aunt Duke. She moved to Chicago, Illinois in 1927 at the age of 16 as part of "the great migration." She joined the Greater Salem Baptist Church Choir and began touring with Johnson Gospel Singers, one of the earliest professional gospel groups. She made her first recording in 1931 and continued recording and performing until 1971.
Mahalia died in Chicago in January, 1972 of heart failure and complications of diabetes. She was 60 years old.



The song "I Believe" was written in 1953 by Erwin Drake, Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl and Al Stillman after they were contacted by singer Jane Foreman who was upset about the Korean conflict starting so soon after World War II ended. She wanted a song that restored faith and hope in a troubled world. They gave her this.


I believe for every drop of rain that falls
A flower grows
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night
A candle glows
I believe for everyone who goes astray, someone will come
To show the way
I believe, I believe

I believe above a storm the smallest prayer
Can still be heard
I believe that someone in the great somewhere
Hears every word

Everytime I hear a new born baby cry,
Or touch a leaf or see the sky
Then I know why, I believe

3 comments:

Coke Brown Jr. said...

She has one of the only two "Christian" voices that I love again and again. She's completely sincere, completely reverent, and has SUCH a glorious, hopeful, thankful, perfect voice.

Coke Brown Jr. said...

The other is Margaret Becker, in case you were wondering, but she's completely different, almost secular in her Christian approach.

Leisl said...

My other favorite is Sister Rosetta. I love some good ol' time gospel music. Maybe it comes from the years I spent living in Tennessee as a girl.