Music Quote of the Day


"If you really think about it, everything in this world tries to be music." -- Eugene Hutz

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Danny Boy - Eric Clapton

I love this song. It always makes me cry. But then, most songs from this era have that affect on me.

The lyrics were written in 1910 by English attorney Frederick Weatherly. The lyrics were modified in 1913 to fit the tune of "Londonderry Air." The song was first recorded in 1915 by Ernestine Schumann-Heink. Nobody knows for sure who the narrator of the song is or where Danny Boy is going or why, although there are many suppositions. You can read the lyrics and decide for yourself.

The lyrics:

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

And if you come, when all the flowers are dying
And I am dead, as dead I well may be
You'll come and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.

And I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me
And all my dreams will warm and sweeter be
If you'll not fail to tell me that you love me
I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.


Since I love these lyrics so much, why did I decide to include an instrumental version of the song? It's simple. The simplicity of it. There are so many versions out there and most of them are so over-orchestrated and over-sung and over-emoted that it hurts. Simple, honest, almost confessional - that's the way I love this song. That, and I love Eric Clapton.

Danny Boy by Eric Clapton



BBC article on "The Legend and History of Danny Boy" (This is an excellent and very informative history of the music as well as the lyrics and I highly recommend reading it for more insight into this song.)

Eric Clapton website

No comments: